Applying to study in the UK? Six must-know steps for Chinese students

Applying to study in the UK? Six must-know steps for Chinese students

Whether you have dreams of studying at Oxford University or getting your degree at the University of Manchester, the application process in the UK is exactly the same no matter where you want to study.

Applying to university in the UK is costs less than CNY 210.

The process is more simple than most other countries, where you need to pay an application fee to each university you apply to. In the UK, you pay a one-off fee.

All your applications are run through an online platform called UCAS. Registration is easy. This online platform is extremely accessible and helps you keep track of all your applications, so you don’t have to visit multiple websites or contact each university separately. If you’re only applying for one course, it will cost you a one-off fee of CNY 113. If you plan on applying for multiple courses, it’s CNY 210.

You can apply for up to five courses at once.

Over 121,000 international students use the platform to apply for full-time undergraduate courses in the UK every year. You can apply for up to five courses at one time and, for instance, if your heart is set on studying at the University of Sheffield, you can apply for five courses all at one university.

Once the universities you’ve applied to receive your application, they will respond and either offer you a conditional place, invite you for a further interview or reject your offer. Conditional offers will become unconditional offers after you’ve received your exam results and you’ve met the entry requirements for your chosen course.

Entry requirements are set by each university so may differ course-to-course. Make sure you are familiar with the requirements for each course you are interested in before you apply.

If you’re 16 or over, you can apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa

You can apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa to study in the UK online if you’re 16 or over and you have been offered a place on a course and can speak, read, write and understand English. You will also need to prove you have enough money to support yourself and pay for the course.

Over 430,000 international students apply for a Tier 4 student visa and study here every year, from over 180 countries.

It costs CNY 2,839 to apply for the visa from outside the UK

Visa applications usually begin from three months before the start of your course, a much shorter length of time in comparison to the US system. It costs CNY 2,839 to apply for a visa from outside the UK and you’ll usually receive a decision within three weeks.

Calculate and pay for your health charge

Also known as the ‘immigration health surcharge’, this small fee lets you use health services, known as the NHS, for free while you’re studying in the UK. You will still need to pay for certain prescriptions, dental treatments and eye tests, but visits to the doctor will be completely free for the entire time you’re studying.

You will have to answer a short questionnaire to calculate how much you need to pay as a health charge before you move to the UK. For every full year of study in the UK, it will cost £150 (CNY 1298.35).

Find your new home in the UK

Once your place at university has been confirmed, it’s time to find a place to live in your new home town. You have several options, including university halls, exclusive student accommodation or privately renting.

Because you’ll be thousands of miles away from home, it’s important you find accommodation that is close to university and makes you feel as comfortable as possible. It’s wise to book in advance, as places can be very popular in purpose-built student accommodation and university halls.

Must-look link list

Register with UCAS

UCAS course search tool

Apply for your student visa

Calculate your health charge


  • TAGS:

Related Posts